Ben voilà...

M2K-5 will do great. Hope that Meteor are part of this.

French-Mirage-2000-5F-in-Spain-during-NATO-exercise-800x500.jpg

but doesn't it have a radar that is even inferior to the apg-68? How are Meteors going to play a part in such suboptimal conditions?

Macron also mentioned working in partnership with other Mirage users to determine the final number… presumably Qatar or Greece.
Greece has been trying to get rid of their F-16B30s and M2Ks in exchange for better fighters, namely more Rafales and F-35s.

Indonesia was seriously interested in the Qatari(?) Mirages, I don't know what happened to that deal though.

It seems like the UkrAF has lost its abilities more than I previously thought.

but doesn't it have a radar that is even inferior to the apg-68? How are Meteors going to play a part in such suboptimal conditions?

Greece has been trying to get rid of their F-16B30s and M2Ks in exchange for better fighters, namely more Rafales and F-35s.

Indonesia was seriously interested in the Qatari(?) Mirages, I don't know what happened to that deal though.

It seems like the UkrAF has lost its abilities more than I previously thought.
Na RDY is very good for the relative size of the aircraft, as was RDI. It’s MICA I’m a bit more concerned with.

Na RDY is very good for the relative size of the aircraft, as was RDI. It’s MICA I’m a bit more concerned with.
Even some AESA radars such as the APG-83 would have trouble making full use of the capabilities that Meteor provides, what makes you think the RDY/APG-68/et al. can handle this task just fine?
The modernized version, RDY-2 has a 15% greater air-to-air range, an SAR (Synthetic Aperture Radar) mode that allows ground mapping with a resolution of less than one meter and refined moving ground target tracking. It has demonstrated it´s ability to detect, reliably, fighter size targets at 140 km.
The original RDI/RDM radars on the Mirage 2000 only worked in air-to-air mode.[2] The RDY was designed to add air-to-ground modes, in particular the ability to control Exocet and Kormoran 2 anti-shipping missiles.[2] The 240 kg (530 lb) system has a 655 mm (25.8 in) flat-plate antenna scanning a 3.5° beam over a 60° cone at powers up to 120 kW.[2] Maximum range is 60 nmi (110 km) in air-to-air mode and 20 nmi (37 km) in look-down mode.[2] The RDY can detect 24 targets, track eight of them and engage four targets at a time.[2] The enhanced RDY-2 has a slightly greater range and adds a SAR mode.
RDY is the standard fit on the Mirage 2000–5,-5Mk2 (RDY-2) and -9 (RDY-2) aircraft and has been retrofitted aboard 37 French Air Force Mirage 2000Cs (aircraft to Mirage 2000-5F standard; 11 aircraft redelivered during 1998, 22 during 1999), 25 Greek Mirage 2000-5 Mk2 and 62 United Arab Emirates' Mirage 2000EAD/DADs. Other customers for the Mirage 2000-5 include Qatar (Mirage 2000-5EDA and -5DDA aircraft) and Taiwan (Mirage 2000-5Ei and -5Di aircraft). India's fleet will receive RDY-2 under a €1.47bn contract signed in July 2011 to upgrade them to 2000-5 standard.

Last edited:
Even some AESA radars such as the APG-83 would have trouble making full use of the capabilities that Meteor provides, what makes you think the RDY/APG-83/et al. can handle this task just fine?
Zero clue if they can integrate Meteor but it doesn’t seem RDY would be worse then Captor-M. Same processor and power as RBE2 PESA and at least the early version of AESA (RDY range is between these two). Seems it could work.

Fig. 5. Long range detection.
In a 120 ° direction angle sector, the altitude section scanned isfrom 100,000ft to 80 NM. (Thomson-CSF/Radars & Contre-Mesures document)

Attachments

• RDY.pdf
    773.3 KB · Views: 5
How are Meteors going to play a part in such suboptimal conditions?
Maybe Meteor + datalink provided by a 3rd party platform?

Also Mica NG deliveries from 2026… doubles the range AFAIK (100-130km). Perhaps a small number could be handed over for use against high value targets.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom