Extended-range precision artillery hits targets from 36 kilometers

If only it that were easy. Alas, the easiest solution is a new antenna. The second easiest is a terminal seeker.

Do you even know how SDB works?
I think his whole point was that with current day INS it might be viable to do away with GPS guidance for SDB and replace it with INS.

If only it that were easy. Alas, the easiest solution is a new antenna. The second easiest is a terminal seeker.
Terminal seekers are raely immune form jamming.
Do you even know how SDB works?
INS is entirely self-contained, there are no external signal, as with GPS. Hence for a short-range munition, there is zero point using GPS, if INS can give similar results.

I think his whole point was that with current day INS it might be viable to do away with GPS guidance for SDB and replace it with INS.
Exactly.

INS is entirely self-contained, there are no external signal, as with GPS. Hence for a short-range munition, there is zero point using GPS, if INS can give similar results.
I mean, you still need to tell the INS where it's starting from, but that depends entirely on the range of the GPS jamming.

I mean, you still need to tell the INS where it's starting from, but that depends entirely on the range of the GPS jamming.
Yes but if necessary the exact position of a large number of set firing positions can be worked out offline and preloaded into the launcher, thus eliminating the need for measurement by field sensors altogether.

In highly related news, see post #2,037: (@Kat Tsun)

Last edited:
Yes, but errors are unavoidable, and accuracy would still degrade.
See post #79, the 0.0035deg/hour accuracy provided by affordable commercial INS provides accuracy that is more than sufficient for 80-150km munitions like HIMARS and SDB.

See post #79, the 0.0035deg/hour accuracy provided by affordable commercial INS provides accuracy that is more than sufficient for 80-150km munitions like HIMARS and SDB.
It boggles me than INS isn't saturated when the projectile is accelerated along the barrel!

It boggles me than INS isn't saturated when the projectile is accelerated along the barrel!
Thats thanks to a whole lot of tricks.

Ranging from turning off the sensors on launch before turning them back on at x time later, and calulating where the shell be then as the new zero point. You will take a accuracy hit from that due to velocity variation from inconsistent powder burn and air density differences making the guess be inaccurate.

To rezeroing it by GPS at certain points, such as max Ord and like.

And several other tricks.

Which is why despite huidences, for gun shot projectiles you WANT an accurate and consistent gun.

Cause the more accurate and consistent the gun is, the less worth the guidence system needs to do and tge less errors you pick up.

I guessed the INS would be suppressed during firing, that's how I would design it. Some form of speed sensing once clear of the muzzle might be a cheap way to compensate for firing variations.