What exactly are you looking for? Some background/context/fictional universe information is essential. Otherwise it may just be tentacles all the way down.
precisely that! I have the basics of the war of the worlds, mars deemed unlivable by its inhabitants, so they migrate to earth, or at least the moon as a recon mission. Its the why and the history of their race thats got me stumped, I've got the selenites down, but I can't seem to get the martians nailed

precisely that! I have the basics of the war of the worlds, mars deemed unlivable by its inhabitants, so they migrate to earth, or at least the moon as a recon mission. Its the why and the history of their race thats got me stumped, I've got the selenites down, but I can't seem to get the martians nailed
I recommend a simple or advanced google search on mars or martian and shlock. I am fairly confident you will find what you are looking for.

Fine by me, if you're comfortable with consulting by a wacko aerospace engineer :).
been doing that anyway on a discord server, I got a thread with over 4000 messages of just rambling about it. Scientific and Engineering accuracy (well, at least for the period anyway) is paramount in my mind, so I'm completely fine with that

The real Apollo lunar backpack has quite a few more components.
View attachment 727636
Indeed,the soviet Krechet-94 lunar suit backpack is also a rather complicated looking affair....
Krechet_94_-_lunar_suit_1967.jpg

Well, if you wanted to stray from the Well's 1898 version of the War and Martians, you could have the Martians actually being general AI enabled robots, which survived as the Martian climate declined and the biological Martians died out. (I am fudging the timeline, the actual Martian environment declined billions of years ago). The robots would not have to look like our anthropomorphic versions, but could be quite different.

I've got the selenites down, but I can't seem to get the martians nailed

Maybe some of this might help.

In The War of the Worlds, the narrator speculates on the evolutionary history of the Martians and proposes that they might in the distant past been not unlike ourselves but with increasing use of technology, their bodies atrophied while their brains, eyes and hands hypertrophied. He recalls reading an essay proposing that humans might follow such a path before the invasion. That was actually a clever reference by Wells to his own whimsical essay, 'The Man of the Year Million,' Pall Mall Budget, dated 1893/11/18.

A short story by Wells, 'The Crystal Egg' is a pendant to The War of the Worlds and gives a glimpse of life on the surface of Mars, which would not have been possible in the last couple of billion years as we now know.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kufi-mJN4AA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcQMqRwuJDs

Perhaps they live in lava tubes (like your version of the Selenites), or in artificial caves. Maybe they were always subterranean or lived under layers of ice that we now know do exist.

EM Forster's 'The Machine Stops' is a counter on Wellsian techno-optimism and could well describe the early stages of a Martian race - and the Men of the Year Million too.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3vl6p2dEv8

Finally, in WotW, Wells also writes about the co-evolution of humans and machines with the clear inspiration of Samuel Butler. Wells wouldn't have read the original letters by Butler to a New Zealand newspaper, but he would certainly have read Erewhon, where he rewrote them as 'The Book of the Machines.' Wells wrote that the Martians were essentially heads that put on mechanical bodies as they desired - the fighting and handling machines used in their invasion. This makes them the origin of all the 'humungous mecha' in anime and films like Pacific Rim.

Without a doubt, Frank Herbert was referring to Samuel Butler in the Dune books when he wrote of the 'Butlerian Jihad' and its commandment, 'Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind.'

On a tangent, the Hungarian writer Frigyes Karinthy (Hungary's equivalent to Karel Čapek and Franz Kafka) wrote a pastiche of Swift's Gulliver tales, 'Voyage to Faremido', featuring a musical machine race also inspired by Cyrano de Bergerac and Wells. Wells acknowledged that Swift was a major influence on him, so a circle is completed. Actually, that metaphor requires non-Euclidean geometry, which brings me to Lovecraft and... perhaps I should stop there.

Below is Wells' own doodle or 'picshua' of his future human.

man_million.jpg

Last edited:
Correct! Mariner 4 did a fly by and measured the atmospheric density by radio occultation. Reduced the estimate of the atmospheric density by roughly 90%. That upended plans to use solely oversized parachutes to land spacecraft on Mars. Along with the photos showing craters on the surface, it drastically revised the somewhat romantic vision of Mars with canals and vegetation.

Mariner 2 flew by Venus earlier and the radiometer measured temperature put an end to that as a possible habitat for life, as well.

But, if this is an "alternative" game, one can just go with the prior 1950's notion of Mars. Disney and VonBraun, along with Chesley Bonestell created and alternative vision of the solar system and its exploration. The 1950's vision was far different from the reality of what happened historically.

I should mention that there was a short lived US television series in 1959 (Men into Space) which tried a fairly realistic picture of the near future of space exploration.

And I've attached an advertising poster from the show. It incorporated some of the Von Braun plans for space exploration and had decent effects and models for the late 1950's era it was made in.

For an exhaustive and extremely well researched history of the early Russian Space developments, I highly recommend Asif Siddiqui's "Sputnik and the Soviet Space Challenge".

Interesting little bit of trivia:
The spacesuit props from this show would go on to be used for the next 25+ years in a considerable variety of tv and movie productions,they even have a tiny bit part in the star wars cantina scene.
https://sayhellospaceman.blogspot.com/search/label/Men into Space

Well, if you wanted to stray from the Well's 1898 version of the War and Martians, you could have the Martians actually being general AI enabled robots, which survived as the Martian climate declined and the biological Martians died out. (I am fudging the timeline, the actual Martian environment declined billions of years ago). The robots would not have to look like our anthropomorphic versions, but could be quite different.
While that is a most interesting idea, I would quite like to stick to the OG source material, if thats alright. I had the idea that I could use the fact that mars had an ice age up to about 400,000 years ago, so perhaps the martians had to endure this ice age, but when the ice age finished, much of the water became locked at the poles under sheets of ice. While there was enough water at the equator to sustain another 200,000 years, but when this all dries up and mars under goes desertification. This then spurs the martians to construct their great canal network, to irrigate the whole planet, and transport the water from pole to pole. This is successful right up to about 1800, when at last the meltwater from the poles grows too exhausted for the canals to function properly. This then spurs on the martians to start considering the invasion of earth as a viable option, as to the survival of their race.

This could also tie into maps of mars changed from the 1800s to the 1950s when the game is set, as in 1877 Lowell, scheparalli and his chums all saw nice, long defined line on mars, when the canals were still just about functioning, but by the time 1958 rolls around, they've been all but claimed by the desert, hence why many maps of the period appear more fuzzy as the canals start getting covered with sand and dust. Mars_Ice_Age_PIA04933_modest.jpg
In The War of the Worlds, the narrator speculates on the evolutionary history of the Martians and proposes that they might in the distant past been not unlike ourselves but with increasing use of technology, their bodies atrophied while their brains, eyes and hands hypertrophied. He recalls reading an essay proposing that humans might follow such a path before the invasion. That was actually a clever reference by Wells to his own whimsical essay, 'The Man of the Year Million,' Pall Mall Budget, dated 1893/11/18.

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/TT18940228.2.30
A short story by Wells, 'The Crystal Egg' is a pendant to The War of the Worlds and gives a glimpse of life on the surface of Mars, which would not have been possible in the last couple of billion years as we now know.

https://theshortstory.co.uk/devsite...7/Wells-H-G-The-Crystal-Egg-short-stories.pdf
I completely forgot about the crystal egg, lol. That could definitely be a good source, as could that paper you speak of, I must give them a read at some point.
Perhaps they live in lava tubes (like your version of the Selenites), or in artificial caves. Maybe they were always subterranean or lived under layers of ice that we now know do exist.
perhaps, I meant it would be a shame if there wasn't at least one pyramid on mars.
Finally, in WotW, Wells also writes about the co-evolution of humans and machines with the clear inspiration of Samuel Butler. Wells wouldn't have read the original letters by Butler to a New Zealand newspaper, but he would certainly have read Erewhon, where he rewrote them as 'The Book of the Machines.' Wells wrote that the Martians were essentially heads that put on mechanical bodies as they desired - the fighting and handling machines used in their invasion. This makes them the origin of all the 'humungous mecha' in anime and films like Pacific Rim.
That would be a very interesting thing to look at, that, thank you. And some tremendously good points. But perhaps, for some more direct lore, some inspiration can be taken from the 1998 Jeff Wayne War of the Worlds RTS game, which featured some cutscenes that actually show the martian side of things.
View: https://youtu.be/fKQvjSlBGNM?si=uzrTJxTzwUpuFCyF

View: https://youtu.be/AZ8fKXWqHcw?si=E19ow9GEo5TrXa9k

so, about some 5000 years ago for us, the selenites experience a tremendous and cataclysmic extinction event which they call "the Great Ending". Caused by increased solar activity stripping the moon of what little atmosphere the moon had left, and the moons core cooling causing the internal temperatures to massively drop, causing a huge extinction among the selenites, equivalent to the Black Death in our own history, where a species of some 4 million goes down to just 5-7000 left. To make matters worse, one of their primary food sources, the Great Lake, freezes over, causing starvation among those left, causing their numbers to dwindle further. czT-I9tb.jpg-small.jpeg
However, those left began to develop methods and equipment not dissimilar to the inuits of our own earth, with thick coats made from moon calf fur, and the development of ice fishing and sleds.

The history of their species is particularly important to them, to the point where a specific genetic trait arose among those who are charged to keep it. So, enter the selenite thinker, a being charged with the keeping of their history, a 200 year span of their lives, they record history in 2 ways: First being mentally, to the point where they can recall any major event from up to 50 years ago, even 100 years in some cases, simply by memory. The second way is a little stranger, but is important for its preservation for future generations: essentially, you see all those tassels on his clothing? So, essentially, each one of those represents one year of his life, with colour denoting the primary event that occurred in that year, and then a series of knots denoting the precise events.
n2--V6Nj.jpg-small.jpeg
the selenite thinker is so vital to selenite culture to the point where they have their own special burial rights. So, since the whole subsurface ocean is frozen ocean, the selenite thinker in question is wrapped in the stretched skin of a moon calf, a leathery substance, and is lowered into the "Great Sheet", as it is now known. The selenite is then retrieved, and unwrapped from his binds. Since he is now frozen, he is taken and placed in a great tomb, the "Tomb of Luna" as Cavor calls it

As for the worker selenites, the process is less glamorous, but still an integral part of their culture

essentially, the first half of the process remains the same, its the place of entombment that changes
rather than a prebuilt and specially made tomb, the selenite workers get a huge chasm, the largest on the moon, some 3k in diameter.They are wrapped in the moon clad skin, but they are not unwrapped, and a single tassel marks their name. They are then stacked against the walls of the chasm neatly in rows, and I think it would be a nice touch that it starts nice and orderly enough, then as the Great Ending progresses, it turns from neat into a mass grave affair

Well, owing to the fact that the BIS suit (rebranded as the British Interplanetary Commission in the timeline, with the suits manufactured by Normalair) has an impractical amount of layers to sustain a person in lunar conditions (just 4, lol), I had the idea that the wearer would don a Liquid Cooling garment, similar to the apollo equivalent, but that would reconstitute the lost layers for radiation protection etc. that the suit lacks:
1714583824851-png.727617

Not bad, there litte details to change, but it work. (if have time i will drawn it and post here )
we have here section with British space Suits and flight suits:
moonpro2-jpg.73434

img_0018-jpg.132363

suit9-jpg.162331

img_1365a-jpg.146905

1714583824851-png.727617

Not bad, there litte details to change, but it work. (if have time i will drawn it and post here )
we have here section with British space Suits and flight suits:
moonpro2-jpg.73434

img_0018-jpg.132363

suit9-jpg.162331

img_1365a-jpg.146905
most helpful indeed, that RAF dark blue sure looks good on anything doesn't it? What about the selenite lore I just posted?

fair enough, what about the flight suits redesign?
here my version of Flight suit
it solve some issue like position of certain bags and pockets
and offer better access to Maps and Mission papers also give classic pocket Knife

by the way how much atmosphere is left on Moon in story ?

bic_flightsuit-jpg.728193

Attachments

• BIC_flightsuit.jpg
    BIC_flightsuit.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 81
and offer better access to Maps and Mission papers also give classic pocket Knife

Wowzer's man, I must say you've done a cracking job right there! Very good sketching! However, the sketch I made was more the BIC's version of the Apollo Liquid Cooling Garment, and the other layers of the A7L suits, to reconstitute the layers that the BIC suit is missing (which is a lot).

I think the actual flight suits that crews would wear would probably be a bit closer to the flight suits of the V-Bomber crews, to keep the proper RAF feel.
1715144015949.png

I'm not trying to say that your sketch is useless, far from it my man, and I hope I haven't led you to believe so, as perhaps there can be a convergence point between the two uniforms? The map pockets and diaper etc. would remain I think (either that or the spacecraft would come with one of those bucket toilets from a Lancaster lol). The connector for the 02 pipe could probably run directly to the mask, just as they did for bomber and fighter crews of the time.

Also, on the subject of insignia, I'm not exactly sure if the astronauts should retain their ranks or not? See, I had the idea that, rather than keeping the Wg.Cdr rank for example, perhaps their position in the astronaut corps could be indicated by a small rectangle with a bright pattern, like a medal, which would indicate which group of astronauts the person belonged to, such as the Megaroc 10, or the Ladies Eight?

Wowzer's man, I must say you've done a cracking job right there! Very good sketching! However, the sketch I made was more the BIC's version of the Apollo Liquid Cooling Garment, and the other layers of the A7L suits, to reconstitute the layers that the BIC suit is missing (which is a lot).

I think the actual flight suits that crews would wear would probably be a bit closer to the flight suits of the V-Bomber crews, to keep the proper RAF feel.
View attachment 728230

I'm not trying to say that your sketch is useless, far from it my man, and I hope I haven't led you to believe so, as perhaps there can be a convergence point between the two uniforms? The map pockets and diaper etc. would remain I think (either that or the spacecraft would come with one of those bucket toilets from a Lancaster lol). The connector for the 02 pipe could probably run directly to the mask, just as they did for bomber and fighter crews of the time.

Also, on the subject of insignia, I'm not exactly sure if the astronauts should retain their ranks or not? See, I had the idea that, rather than keeping the Wg.Cdr rank for example, perhaps their position in the astronaut corps could be indicated by a small rectangle with a bright pattern, like a medal, which would indicate which group of astronauts the person belonged to, such as the Megaroc 10, or the Ladies Eight?
As Michel already asked above, what is your postulation of the imaginary lunar atmosphere in terms of chemical composition, ground zero pressure, and surface temperature for your hypothetical scenario, since these factors are main drivers for your fictional lunar suit design? I assume the suits will be mostly used on average ground (for lack of sea) level, unless you consider excursions to say the top of Mons Huygens or the Selenean Summit on the far side? Are there any clouds, fog, haze, drizzle, rain, hail, snow, sleet, thunderstorms, clear sky lightning, blizzards, tornadoes, hurricanes, potentially abrasive/electrically charged dust/sand storms, or any other notable weather phenomena occurring in your alternate reality lunar atmosphere? If you want to postulate a certain atmospheric composition to fit your fiction, that's fine, as long as you stay within plausible parameters, taking the lower lunar gravity (which I assume stays constant at the current value dictated by the Moon's geometry as well as physical laws and geological composition) and the fixed solar ground insolation (potential lunar weather phenomena as noted above nothwithstanding) into account, but you'll have to define those unless you're simply good with something that just "looks steampunky cool", in which case really anything goes anyway. Quite honestly though, I think obsessing about insignia would at this point be the least of your worries...

Last edited:

View attachment 728230

The british did produce a pressure suit,the windak,tho sadly it saw more use as a prop in various tv and movie productions,ironically this is what the astronauts are wearing in the movie version of the first men in the moon.
first_men_in_moon4.jpg
Windak-1.jpg
https://sayhellospaceman.blogspot.com/search/label/Windak

The british did produce a pressure suit,the windak,tho sadly it saw more use as a prop in various tv and movie productions,ironically this is what the astronauts are wearing in the movie version of the first men in the moon.
first_men_in_moon4.jpg
Windak-1.jpg
https://sayhellospaceman.blogspot.com/search/label/Windak
I've seen *way* worse contemporary prop efforts on screen, actual lack of use in a representative environment notwithstanding. It has a lot more logical engineering features that any number of other cheap international 60's scifi productions ...

As Michel already has asked you, what is your postulation of the imaginatory lunar atmosphere in terms of chemical composition, ground zero pressure, and surface temperature for your hypothetical scenario, since these factors are the main drivers for your fictional lunar suit design? And are there any clouds, fog, haze, rain, hail, snow, or any other weather phenomena occurring in your alternate reality lunar atmosphere? If you want to postulate a certain atmospheric composition to fit your fiction, that might be fine as long as you stay within plausible parameters, taking the lower lunar gravity (which I assume stays fixed at the current value dictated by the Moon's geometry and physical composition) as well as the fixed solar insolation into account, but you'll have to define those unless you're simply good with with something that just "looks steampunky cool", in which case really anything goes anyway...
Well, on the surface, owing to the higher amount of volcanic activity on the moon at this time, "mists" of carbon and sulphur dioxides, linger yet on the moon's surface. According to AC Clarke's "the exploration of the moon", many experienced observers had reported similar "mists" and obscurations on the surface. So, surface pressure would probably be so negligible as to be almost non-existent, but its just enough for the heavier gases to settle in clouds on the surface (I'm not entirely sure at what pressure this would occur, and I think the book's not really sure either lol).

As for the interior atmosphere, the air would still be quite thin, probably only about 5-6 pounds to the square-inch of oxygen, but just enough to be breathable without oxygen gear. This atmosphere is probably about 5-10 miles below the moon's surface, and is regulated and controlled by a series of airlocks the selenites managed to build before the atmosphere was stripped away near completely. If the selenites and professor Cavor wanted to roam any higher, they would need some mountaineering O2 gear, which Cavor teaches them how to make.

Well, on the surface, owing to the higher amount of volcanic activity on the moon at this time, "mists" of carbon and sulphur dioxides, linger yet on the moon's surface. According to AC Clarke's "the exploration of the moon", many experienced observers had reported similar "mists" and obscurations on the surface. So, surface pressure would probably be so negligible as to be almost non-existent, but its just enough for the heavier gases to settle in clouds on the surface (I'm not entirely sure at what pressure this would occur, and I think the book's not really sure either lol).

As for the interior atmosphere, the air would still be quite thin, probably only about 5-6 pounds to the square-inch of oxygen, but just enough to be breathable without oxygen gear. This atmosphere is probably about 5-10 miles below the moon's surface, and is regulated and controlled by a series of airlocks the selenites managed to build before the atmosphere was stripped away near completely. If the selenites and professor Cavor wanted to roam any higher, they would need some mountaineering O2 gear, which Cavor teaches them how to make.
Best of luck then with your intrepid independent media endeavor, my kind Sir! As long as you keep the heroes mustaches firmly twirled, you should have a decent shot at internet 15 second fame...

Last edited:
I've seen *way* worse contemporary prop efforts on screen, actual lack of use in a representative environment notwithstanding. It has a lot more logical engineering features that any number of other cheap international 60's scifi productions ...
They had a long successful career with probably their last appearance being in return of the jedi,they were in all 3 of the original star wars films,its likely that the windaks white vest was the inspiration for the white vest thats part of the x-wing pilots flight suit.
Theres a soviet production,moon rainbow,that used actual eva helmets [yastrebs I think] as prop helmets for the spacesuits
MV5BNDFmNDY3NmMtYTMzYi00ZjMwLWEwNzYtM2FjMmUxMWMyMDA0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzY1MzQyOTY@._V1_.jpg

rainbow+1.PNG

The world of prop spacesuits is a very interesting one. :cool:

Best of luck then with your intrepid independent media endeavor, my kind Sir! As long as you keep the heroes mustaches firmly twirled, you should have a decent shot at internet 15 second fame...
why thank you kind sir, I do hope that such measurements and estimations are up to scratch?

They had a long successful career with probably their last appearance being in return of the jedi,they were in all 3 of the original star wars films,its likely that the windaks white vest was the inspiration for the white vest thats part of the x-wing pilots flight suit.
Theres a soviet production,moon rainbow,that used actual eva helmets [yastrebs I think] as prop helmets for the spacesuits
MV5BNDFmNDY3NmMtYTMzYi00ZjMwLWEwNzYtM2FjMmUxMWMyMDA0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzY1MzQyOTY@._V1_.jpg

rainbow+1.PNG

The world of prop spacesuits is a very interesting one. :cool:
those are some interesting suits to say the least, I can definitely see some of Leonov's suit influencing their design a bit

I see, well I believe I have a couple areas you could help me with....

And I meant the atmosphere stuff, less so the spacesuit stuff
I could likely help you with any questions pertaining to the actual real life environment on the Moon, but scientifically defensible speculations on alternative conditions that might be conducive to any form of (sub)surface life are completely outside my wheelhouse.

I could likely help you with any questions pertaining to the actual real life environment on the Moon, but scientifically defensible speculations on alternative conditions that might be conducive to any form of (sub)surface life are completely outside my wheelhouse.
thats fair, the other aspects I was considering your help on, is A) the interiors of the spacecraft and such forth, and the design of a moon-tank I had the idea for?

thats fair, the other aspects I was considering your help on, is A) the interiors of the spacecraft and such forth, and the design of a moon-tank I had the idea for?
For starters, in order to even begin to define any craft or vehicle, you have to lay out qualitative and quantitative mission requirements, e.g. number of crew, mission duration, delta-v/surface range, etc., as well as the underlying technology heritage and development level and associated maturity (see e.g. https://www.nasa.gov/directorates/s...vigation-program/technology-readiness-levels/) first. Actually, in my own humble opinion, that scale should be extended downwards to TRL 0, which would be defined as "Basic principles postulated".

Last edited:
For starters, in order to even begin to define any craft or vehicle, you have to lay out qualitative and quantitative mission requirements, e.g. number of crew, mission duration, delta-v/surface range, etc., as well as the underlying technology heritage and development level and associated maturity (see e.g. https://www.nasa.gov/directorates/s...vigation-program/technology-readiness-levels/) first. Actually, in my own humble opinion, that scale should be extended downwards to TRL 0, which would be defined as "Basic principles postulated".
well, for the glider, the BIS glider should be fairly self-explanatory. A 2-man shuttle to orbit, sort of like the gemini capsules of old. Supplies and equipment for about 2 weeks maximum in orbit. A role similar to Von Braun's Ferry rocket, in operation at the same time, only on a smaller scale. Tech maturity level would be about on par with fighter jets and bombers of the time, so largely manual controls. iC7bA5zB_4x.jpg

As for the moon tank (or LDEV- Long Duration Exploration Vehicle), it is an exploration vehicle comparable in role to those Apollo Applications "Moon Buses" proposed towards the middle of the 60s (or I suppose the actual moon bus proposed by P.A.E Stewart for his idea of british Lunar Exploration). It would have a crew of 3-4, with provisions for approximately 3 weeks of surface ops, (think like the moon-tank seen in Tintin: explorers on the moon). Tech level is roughly about the same as the above, with still largely manual controls, although I did think of a cool instrument it could use for driving (a gps that uses microfilm projection rather than digital displays). The chassis would be based on the Turbine conversion of the Conqueror hull. shu9k5mx8of01.jpg

Is this satisfactory information?

also, I think I'll start working on a convergence between the two garments, yours and the flight uniform, if you don't mind of course?

well, for the glider, the BIS glider should be fairly self-explanatory. A 2-man shuttle to orbit, sort of like the gemini capsules of old. Supplies and equipment for about 2 weeks maximum in orbit. A role similar to Von Braun's Ferry rocket, in operation at the same time, only on a smaller scale. Tech maturity level would be about on par with fighter jets and bombers of the time, so largely manual controls. View attachment 728260

As for the moon tank (or LDEV- Long Duration Exploration Vehicle), it is an exploration vehicle comparable in role to those Apollo Applications "Moon Buses" proposed towards the middle of the 60s (or I suppose the actual moon bus proposed by P.A.E Stewart for his idea of british Lunar Exploration). It would have a crew of 3-4, with provisions for approximately 3 weeks of surface ops, (think like the moon-tank seen in Tintin: explorers on the moon). Tech level is roughly about the same as the above, with still largely manual controls, although I did think of a cool instrument it could use for driving (a gps that uses microfilm projection rather than digital displays). The chassis would be based on the Turbine conversion of the Conqueror hull.View attachment 728261

Is this satisfactory information?
Not really, since there are absolutely no associated quantitative data provided. But even on a purely qualitative level, your first illustration of the return glider already raises a fundamental philosophical question - do you want the system concepts to be technically plausible or just aesthetically pleasing, since the sharp nose would be an engineering no go for a vertically launched reentry vehicle due to aerothermodynamic heating considerations. Likewise, large rounded transparent domes on surface vehicles are questionable at best - something like the ISS cupola or an armoured vehicle turret design would be more plausible, due to both potential damage risk as well as cabin heating due to excessive insolation. And what would be the power source for the tank? A turbine would consume both fuel and oxidator, so electric propulsion, potentially solar powered, might be more appropriate.