Surface Ships Need More Offensive Punch, Outlook

Shapps is really a smart cookie isn't he? I mean who knew the Navy had to be able to destroy targets on the sea, in the air and on land?
Tomorrow's revelation - the RAF needs aircraft with wings on which to fly.
No, tomorrow's revelation is that the RAF needs anti-ship missiles to destroy targets at sea. :(

Last edited:
Last edited:
Which is fair, California doesn't accept that it's part of the US either.

When you run 1/5 of the country’s economy, roughly the size of France, and have over ten percent of the population of the U.S., you probably get an outsized say in things. Texas is similar in its stance. Florida and NYC are close contenders.

The dataset consists of a large number (~600) of publicly available images of AEGIS-equipped ships, with their SPY arrays and VLS blocks highlighted. The presumption is that this is being used to train AI/ML image-recognition tools. They speculate that the author could be anything from a military or university research team to a motivated undergrad using it as a showcase for employers. It's about an order of magnitude smaller than typical ML training datasets.

To me, it looks like this could be a first step toward a ship recognition/identification tool. There are pretty well-developed ML ship detection tools to find ships in overhead imagery but not too many (in public) that do specific ship-class identification. Training one specifically to recognize only AEGIS ships seems like an odd side-alley to go down unless it was just a proof-of-concept for a more general capability to identify specific ship classes.

The dataset consists of a large number (~600) of publicly available images of AEGIS-equipped ships, with their SPY arrays and VLS blocks highlighted. The presumption is that this is being used to train AI/ML image-recognition tools. They speculate that the author could be anything from a military or university research team to a motivated undergrad using it as a showcase for employers. It's about an order of magnitude smaller than typical ML training datasets.

To me, it looks like this could be a first step toward a ship recognition/identification tool. There are pretty well-developed ML ship detection tools to find ships in overhead imagery but not too many (in public) that do specific ship-class identification. Training one specifically to recognize only AEGIS ships seems like an odd side-alley to go down unless it was just a proof-of-concept for a more general capability to identify specific ship classes.
Given the number and open source nature of the images, I would probably think either an undergrad or university researcher would be responsible for it. Certainly shows what tools are currently available, although I expect a service system would use a much wider range of resources, gathered from a much wider range of systems (IIR and SAR).